Pages

Tuesday, November 9, 2010

#7 Reforms based teaching in the science classroom

After my last post, I feel like I have reached a turning point in my thinking. I had great science teachers in middle school, but as I got to high school the quality of instruction diminished quickly. Coming into my science methods class, I was dissatisfied with some of my science education but not all of it. I wanted to find out the best way to allow my students to learn, but I was not prepared for the amount of change Professor Kruse introduced. At this point in the semester, my thinking has changed so I wanted to use this blog to reflect on what I have learned through these blogs so far. I can honestly say I did not think I would reach this point of realization and acceptance this semester. I understand the benefits of the reforms based teaching more than ever because of my research.
There is not a huge emphasis put on science instruction in the elementary classroom, which means students are missing out on something that comes naturally to them. Elementary students are naturally curious and by fostering this curiosity at a young age, it affects their opinions on the rest of their science education. We have been learning about teacher traps in class, and while doing my research I can understand how it would be easy for new and experienced teachers to fall into these traps. Most of them, on a surface level, look to be successful because students are engaged but the content is missing. Making sure to have a purpose for everything you do is important in every aspect of teaching.
The EIMA model I wrote about in my last blog was a "light bulb" moment for me. I was able to combine what we have learned in class with this model to better understand what a reforms based lesson would look like. It is hard to understand a concept, when you have never seen it in action in a practicum. The science instruction I have seen in my undergraduate practicum work has mostly been memorizing facts, vocabulary, and filling out worksheets. The combination of class and research has shown me that not only is this not the only way to teach science, but it should not be an adequate way of teaching at all. Sure this may be an easier way to teach because it requires little to no effort by either the teacher or the students. Education is supposed to be student centered, which means the best interests of our students come before our own convenience.

4 comments:

  1. I like your last line of your post, "Education is supposed to be student centered, which means the best interests of our students come before our own convenience." My past science experiences are similar to yours. I don't remember learning about science in k-4, but once we hit 5th grade, huge textbooks were thrown at us along with vocabulary lists to memorize. As I got older through middle school and high school the teaching became less student centered. I hated high school science! I can literally remember falling asleep during Chemistry...multiple times. Because of these negative experiences, I am more determined to include science into my classroom as much as possible. Like you said, this can be challenging for elementary teachers, but were not teachers for our own satisfaction or convenience. We are in it (or should be in it) for the kids!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I appreciate what you are both saying here as I am in the midst of the struggle to plan my lesson for my practicum class. The subject is space--really a nice open subject, the teacher is allowing us to do anything around the topic. However, I'm not sure if is a gender thing, or that I just am not that interested, but I find myself feeling like I really don't know how to teach a lesson on something I don't know much about. I too am excited how Kruse has taught us how to teach, but am intimidated by his knowledge. But you are talking about the bigger picture, about the kids, and that inspires me Lindsay, to be good at science in my elementary classroom, and also to go study about solar winds...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am also experiencing the same struggle Susan! I was given the subject of the solar system for a 4th grade classroom. The teacher in no way uses inquiry based activities, so it has been difficult to find ways to change the instruction but not so much that is disrupts the students' routine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Erin, I think there have a lot of us this semester that have had eye-opening experience. This type of teaching is so foreign to us and, to be honest, we don't see it that much in our practicums. I had a very similar learning experience in high school. Very text based and very dull! The disappointing thing is that I really enjoy learning about science. I have found myself really soul searching and trying to figure out what type of teacher I am going to be. Lindsey mentioned the last line of your blog post. I couldn't agree more! I think so many teachers focus on what works for them and not what's best for their students!

    ReplyDelete