Pages

Friday, November 19, 2010

What does an effective science classroom look like?

            I’m researching what an effective science classroom looks like. My last blog focused on assessment in the classroom. I found a great website that outlined different types of assessment and when it’s appropriate to use them. For this blog, I wanted to research different learning theories and how to incorporate them into the classroom.
            When researching different learning theories, I came across a website that listed several different learning theories and teaching strategies. I found other websites that gave detailed definitions, but I wanted to find a website that teachers could use as a resource. This site includes: teacher friendly definitions, lesson plans, and links to other websites.
            I wanted to highlight several of the learning theories listed in the website. The first theory I wanted to focus on is called Constructivist Learning Theory. This theory encourages teachers to extend student learning by accessing their prior knowledge. This will help them construct their new schemas by building on their current schemas.
            The second learning theory I wanted to highlight from the article is called Social Learning Theory. This theory promotes student learning through peer interaction. Students are encouraged to work cooperatively and use each other’s thoughts to help form new ideas.
            Both of these learning theories promote a more effective learning environment. There are two other learning theories that I wanted to highlight that were not found in the website. In class, we’ve talked a lot about Behaviorist Learning Theory and Developmental Learning Theory. Behaviorist Learning Theory encourages teachers to plan instruction based on student behavior. Student behaviors give teachers information about their schemas. With this information, teachers can plan and redirect lessons to meet student needs. The fourth and final learning theory I wanted to touch on is called Developmental Learning Theory. This theory encourages teachers to move from concrete learning to more abstract learning.
            Using these learning theories in the classroom will help promote a more effective learning environment. When using these theories your students will: begin with a concrete learning experience, work collaboratively, and form new ideas using their current schemas. When looking at these theories, it got me thinking about what teachers can do to support these student actions. In class, we’ve been focusing a lot on questioning. What types of questions are effective? What types of questions are ineffective? When should you be asking these questions? This is something I would like to take a look at in my next blog.

1 comment:

  1. I agree 100% about integrating the learning theories into the classroom. I think that students learn a lot more when they are exposed to concrete experiences first, work together, and form new ideas with their background knowledge. I think some teachers think that by simply explaining or telling students what they need to know will somehow make learning successful.

    ReplyDelete