Pages

Sunday, November 14, 2010

Science and Math

Many of the articles I am finding involve integrating math and science together more in the elementary classroom. Both math and science are areas that are needed more in classrooms and can be integrated into other areas of the classroom. One of the articles I read, "Integrating Elementary/Middle School Science and Mathematics", talked about how the two subjects are almost intertwined. I found this idea interesting because I had never really heard this before.

The more I looked into this and the more I read the article, I did not agree with what was said. One of the first things the article did was list the steps to integrating math and science together. This instantly put up a flag for me because it gave steps to follow for properly integrating the two together. The steps were very specific. I had a problem with this for a few reasons. I don't think it's necessary to have a step by step guide to integrating the two. I also think that some of the steps were not in line with what we have learned in class. The steps were very specific and it was really important to follow the rules listed. I do no think that there is anything wrong with knowing what and how you are going to teach, however, I do not think that it should be an exact process. I think teaching needs to be flexible and something that changes depending on what the learners need.

One thing I did find interesting is that they described that teaching science and math needed to occur in "an integrated, discovery-based environment." I agreed with that statement, however, I found that the article did no show that very well.

3 comments:

  1. Kendall,
    Any chance you could link us to the article you read? I have my own thoughts on integrating science and math I believe it can be done relatively easily. However, I do agree that there is no exact set of steps that should be followed as teaching often revolves around thinking on the fly and changing plans at the last second. I agree that it is good to have a plan, but it almost never holds exactly how you draw it up. I am curious to read your article.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Math and science are definitely already integrated. I do feel though that we should not completely integrate the two subjects. A teacher could not go into the depth that is needed in either subject. I might have more to say on the subject after reading the article so a link to it would be great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that there is a right and wrong way to do everything. I think math and science are very easy to connect but you have to be careful to keep certain proponents separate. You also alwys have to make sure that both aspects are grade relevant. I feel that a lot of the math in science can be pretty difficult, not all of it but some. This article sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete