Pages

Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Wrapping up The Nature of Science- Part 2

     To start this final post of I think its important you go back and read all my previous posts but most important the post before this. This post is the second part to my previous post. In the last post I left off talking about how science is a blend of logic thinking and imaginative thinking and also talking about theories. From this we move into any other key point. "The essence of science is validation by observation." This is a very well worded statement, science is not proven by observations but rather validated. This is an important point for students to know and understand.
     Science is also a very complex social activity, as we've talked about in class, scientists very rarely work alone. Scientists are always collaborating and working with other people to help develop key ideas and help with observations and  such. "As a social activity, science inevitably reflects social values and viewpoints."
     All of these key points help set a framework for how to teach to the nature of science when teaching science content. If you would like to view the whole article, please Click Here.
          With all the information I have found over the last 8 weeks, I will be able to create a great understanding of the Nature of Science. I'll wrap up all my blogs in my 9th and final post, which will contain a link to my final presentation. 

1 comment:

  1. "The essence of science is validation by observation" is an interesting idea! I liked it at first, but then the more I thought about it and what Prof Kruse talks about in class, it made me think that just observing something doesn't always make it true in the eyes of science. It can lead to bias and opinions on the observations... depending. I really liked reading this and found the article to be great! :)

    ReplyDelete