Pages

Monday, November 8, 2010

Battle of the Schools... part 1


Education is ever changing and expanding in new content areas. Technology, science, math, reading techniques, and the arts are all progressing. A great teacher is able to teach his to her students the content that they will need in order to progress in school and really inspire that student to become his or her best. Content in different types of schools seem to differ ever so slightly and that is where my ideas begin…

In the past few years of being a pre-service teacher, going from school to school for my many practicums, I have continually asked myself what content is hogging the spotlight versus what content is not getting enough attention and the relevance, or rather, affect it has on the students. My first thought was the type of school in which the students are associated. Private schools (or charter schools), Montessori schools, and Public schools were the three that immediately popped into my head. Then I found out about type of school that used to be very popular in the late 70’s, but is now really starting to make its comeback again- STEM schools. These four schools are significantly different from each other. Is the content taught differently? How does this affect the students? Does they type of school even matter? All of these questions I have been thinking about and have finally decided to uncover. The only trouble was, I need to first figure out what makes each school so different…

In my search for information about STEM schools, I found a STEM school blog. A STEM school is a school that focuses on Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (aka S.T.E.M.). Being taught as a reading endorsed teacher, time-in-text for students is key to all and every form of learning. I was very interested to find out more information about these STEM schools and what makes them tick. According to my aunt who teaches in MN, the new STEM schools are now rivaling the charter schools in the areas of Roseville, Lakeville, and Edina.  The questions started flowing immediately, “Are these STEM schools better than the charter schools? If so, why? How do they compare to public schools and Montessori schools? Where are the student’s time in text and reading?! What are the teachers like?” These questions will be answered throughout my research and blogging. I can’t wait!

6 comments:

  1. I am really interested to hear more about what you uncover. As a future elementary teacher, I am also concerned about fitting everything (all the content areas) into a day's time. And, I have also wondered how "other" schools approach the "content debate." I don't think it's fair to rotate social studies and science for young students...I have been shocked to see that in schools around here.
    I have done a lot of research about Montessori schools, and my son will be starting at one in the Spring, so I will be interested to hear what you have to say...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have also never heard of STEM schools, I will be interested to see what you discover with further research. I am also curious how they compare as far as achievement with the other types of schools you mentioned in your blog. I would also be interested to know which model is backed the most by research, or if they all have roots in research. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I barely remember the term STEM from a conversation my parents had(both in education) in the 70's. As bleeding heart public educators, I think they were excited, but skeptical. Why didn't they survive? It seems to me that 18 years is too early to know what direction you want to go in to, much more focussing children at an even earlier age. I think however, it is done in Europe and China, and some feel their public education is better than ours in many ways. I will look forward to more posts too.:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amaeser-

    This topic seems very interesting and one that you feel strongly about. I personally do not know very much about STEM schools myself. I personally believe that all content areas play a big role in a students education and cutting a students learning down to four main content areas may hold some students back. However, we live in a technology filled society now days and it is important that we keep our students up to date with how to approach a technology filled world. Therefore, I feel that technology should be included in all schools main content areas.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just recently was browsing around a website that briefly discussed STEM schools and became interested to learn more because they are so unfamiliar to me. Questions I'd like to get answers to are: What grade level do you enter a STEM school? How does standardized testing work in these schools? Are they private? Is there research to support their effectiveness?
    I hold similar concerns as Susan. I think kids have a hard time realizing what they want to be when they graduate college and I think that going to a STEM school would be more of a parent decision versus a child decision. Does this take the students choice away?

    ReplyDelete
  6. STEM schools are a new concept for me, but from reading your post I have hope and concern for them. My first major concern is that the school will quickly become male dominated. I feel school is an important time to interact and learn the importance of communication with male and female. My second concern is sports and extra curricular activities. Since I am not familiar with these types of schools I am not sure if these are included but I feel these are so important to have in our schools to allow students to find talents they would never have known they had. The one thing I do like about the idea of a STEM school is that it has focus. If someone really knows what they want, this would be a great school for them.

    ReplyDelete