Pages

Monday, November 15, 2010

Observations and Nature Preserves

I remember when I was in elementary and we would go out to our nature preserve just to sit and observe nature. Sometimes we were asked to sketch it and other times we were asked to take notes and write about what we saw while we were there. I was wondering if there were any other observation ideas because after doing that, year after year, it got a little redundant.

With technology taking over the way it is, there are some really cool things we can do with our field observations. One thing that is handy to have, and most schools have a few of them, is a digital camera so we can capture what we see. These pictures can then be used on many ways including collages, posters and power point presentations. I also found some on the web, here, where classes posted the pictures they took a nature preserve. So this is another option. Either way there are many more ideas out there on what can be done with the observations on the field, rather than the same thing time after time. Remember, getting out of the classroom is exciting for our students so it is our job to make the learning that happens outside of the classroom just as exciting!

2 comments:

  1. I think a lot of our kids, especially those from cities don't get to see nature. I think there are a lot of things we can do to get them to appreciate nature. Although I feel appreciation isn't enough, it's important to get students out into nature so they care about and love it. Sadly that just isn't easily done as easy as it was in the past.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this is a really great subject to address. I remember taking nature field trips when I was younger. What I don't remember, is what I learned. I think using the video cameras during a field trip is a great idea. This could be a great way for students to capture what they saw and then revisit in the classroom. I also think it might help students focus their learning during the field trip. You, as the teacher, may want to have them film certain plants or animals on the trip. You could then use that film in the classroom during concept development. Overall, I think field trips are a great way for students to learn about science and get outside of the classroom!

    ReplyDelete