Pages

Thursday, November 18, 2010

What does an effective science classroom look like?

            I’ve been researching what an effective science classroom should look like. My previous blogs have included: inquire-based instruction, student engagement, content-based activities, and The Learning Cycle. All of these components help create an effective learning environment. Now, I want to take a look at assessment in the classroom. I want to know what it should look like and I want to know when to use it.
            Researching assessment isn’t hard. You can find it everywhere. There was a lot of information about assessment and its definition, but I wanted to learn more about what types of assessment are appropriate and when to use them. I found a site that provides a list of assessments and when you should use them. It also lists why they are appropriate and when you shouldn’t use a specific type of assessment. The information in the site was extremely helpful and I think it would make a great resource in the classroom.
            Assessment can be an extremely effective tool in the classroom. We take classes that focus entirely on assessment. Teachers need to understand when and how to use it. Each student’s needs are unique and the best way to address these needs is to assess the student. That information will let you know where they are at academically and what they need in the future.
            I’ve looked at a lot of components that can help create an effective learning environment. We’ve been talking a lot about learning theories in our class. I really want to further research these theories and how important it is to incorporate them into the classroom.

1 comment:

  1. I think this is a very important thing to think about in the classroom. A lot of times, we don't sit down and think about how to use the different forms of assessment in our classrooms. A lot of times we just fall into what is easy. Sometimes what is easiest isn't what is best for our students.

    ReplyDelete