Pages

Monday, November 15, 2010

Online Quizzes

A great way to incorporate technology in the classroom is by having fun, interactive quizzes online. I found a great video on teachertube.com explaining in full detail how to download and install a specific program called Hot Potatoes.

Once you download and install the program it is very easy to make the quiz. There are many different types of quizzes and word searches that you can choose from. You click on a specific type and start filling out the sections. It is a very quick and easy process. You type in the question, responses, feedback, and check the "correct" box on the correct answer. Super easy!

Online quizzes are great for many reasons. They are available to students 24/7, students can use them for practice, and students receive immediate feedback. Online quizzes can be made appropriately for all grade levels.

I think having online quizzes is an interactive and inexpensive way to incorporate technology into the classroom and home life of the students. Students are constantly surronded by technology; why not make their quizzes available through technolgy as well?


- teachertube.com
- http://www1.teachertube.com/viewVideo.php?video_id=97249&title=Hot_Potatoes_Video_1

4 comments:

  1. Nicole I think this would be a great way to do quizzes if you like to do them as a teacher. I think one problem with quizzes online is that some schools may not be able to afford computers in their classroom but hopefully there is a computer lab available. I don't think young students would be able to do these quizzes online. I agree with you that everything around us involves technology so I think this is a great way to update our technology in schools!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure I like online quizzes, especially in a science classroom. Science quizzes often have problems and to get partial credit a student needs to show his or her work. I agree students are constantly surrounded by technology and for that reason I say keep science quizzes paper and pencil based. We should not completely move away from classic ways of teaching.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Amanda, I think quizzes and exams should be kept in the classroom because online quizzes don't really leave room for students to explain their thinking or reasoning. The questions presented in online quizzes would have to cut and dry questions that don't leave room for students to use critical thinking. There is also the problem with websites not working properly or information being accidentally entered incorrectly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How fun! I like the idea of having SOME quizzes available to students online, however I do agree with the other two posts that quizzes should be kept in the classroom. Something I have found to be fun and can link the online quizzes to classrooms. In one of my methods class, we found a fun link online that allows for someone (aka a teacher) to make up a question and then the class uses texting to send in their answers. It is more for opinion-based quesitons because it doesn't tell who gets it right or who gets it wrong. It just gives an overall idea for where students stand. I, personally, dont like the idea of cell phones in the classroom, but for upper elementary, its becoming more and more unavoidable.

    ReplyDelete