Pages

Friday, November 19, 2010

What does an effective science classroom look like?

            What does an effective science classroom look like? I’ve been researching this question for several weeks now. This is my final blog post, so I wanted to use this blog to bring all of my ideas together.
            I’ve looked at several different key components that should be present in an effective science classroom. These components include:
·        An inquiry-based learning encourages students to explore and gather evidence about the natural world to learn about science.
·        Teachers should create an engaging classroom environment. When students are engaged, they are more motivated to learn about the content.
·        Student engagement doesn’t necessarily equal learning. Teachers need to remember to include content and develop concepts, and not get caught up in “activity mania.”
·         The Learning Cycle provides teachers with a guide to lesson planning. It also promotes an inquiry-based learning environment.
·        Assessment can and should be an effective tool in the classroom. Assessments let teachers know where their students are at academically and what they need in the future.
·        Learning theories should be present in the classroom. There are key components found in each theory that help create a more effective learning environment.
·        Questioning is a teaching tool that should be utilized in the classroom. Teachers can effectively use questioning in the classroom by asking high-level, thought provoking questions and using appropriate wait-times.
In my very first blog, I stated that I will be a practicing teacher in the not-so-distant future. This is an exciting, but eye-opening reality. I really feel as though this research has helped me better prepare for my future students.  I look forward to implementing these various concepts and creating my own effective science classroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment